Wednesday, December 31, 2008

happy new year

Do you make resolutions for a new year? I make resolutions, but not on New Year's Day. I make them all year long... some are big and some are small. Some are very short term, and some for the rest of my life. I'm over new year's resolutions, though.

I do think it is a good time to look at things. Assess where you are, and how you're doing there. It is a time to follow nature, and put away the things that are done, and make room for the new growth. A season to bide your time, waiting for spring to come, for the warmth to come, for growing season to come.

I've come to a couple of realizations today, reflecting on "where I am," and I"ve come up with a few ideas to help me progress on my road. No, not resolutions, just, "maybe I should try..."

I'm not a new year's partier. I like the idea of the big, formal party, where everyone is drinking and dancing and looks beautiful, but... I'm not a big drinker, and once anyone gets past the point where the alchohol is in control and they are not, I'm done there. I'm not a "beautiful person" and I don't really like dressing up all that much. No one much asks me to dance, and I'm a big, shy wallflower. Oh. I hope that doesn't sound like I'm whining, here. I'm not. I just finally came to the realization that I like the _idea_ of those parties, not the actuality of them.

So, no big deal, here tonight. Tomorrow, I think we have a cookout (weather should be permitting) and gaming party. In the afternoon. When its light out, and sane, and all those other fools will be sleeping off hangovers, and watching football.

I hope your new year is a good one, filled with hope, and love, and the promise of growth.

1 comment:

Fran said...

There were a series of years when Lou and our friend Gail and I hosted a New Year's party. We even have a videotape of the 10th one -- A Decade of Decadence -- so I know about partying.

And when you're young, it can be cool. But now? A quiet night by the fire and I'm a happy girl.

No resolutions here, per se, although we're taking a much more positive attitude toward everything, and we fully expect the universe to listen.

Heh. I love the fact that my verification word is "danti".

Happy New Year, Dru, to all of you! Know we miss you very much!