Wednesday, December 3, 2008

try to have a social life

Well, now that I have been crocheting, and I'm practicing up on my knitting to make a Jayne hat for Ron, I've been talking to people at work who are also crafters. Several women who I enjoy talking to, and share some common interests in science fiction, and other things, also happen to enjoy yarn. Its fun!

Last weekend after Thanksgiving, a few of us actually found/made time to meet and gab and craft stuff. I really enjoyed it. We got to show off what we were making, look at tools and yarn, and talk about lots of stuff, only some of which was remotely school related.

This evening, I was invited to the El Paso Crochet Guild (club? can't remember) meeting. There ws going to be stuff to make, and it sounded like fun. I decided to go. Uh huh. Well, I don't know what the snafu was, but I never saw the person I knew where I went. I never saw the other people crocheting. I (dope slap to my head) didn't give my friend my phone number, nor ask for hers to make sure we found each other. Doh! Well, I'm disappointed but not devistated. We'll try and do it again some time.

Now here is the thing about a social life. My social life is time away from my family. I love being with my family. I love having and being with friends. Ideally, the two mix, but not always. Ron's (and Carl's mostly, too) social life is tied to his computer, and people on the internet. I like some real people around. Like my family. Hmmm.... Well, lately, some socializing has been arranged and successfully carried through, and I've enjoyed it. I'll do more, although it will always be a kind of torn feeling that my family is missing me. (of course, that could all be my wishful thinking, lol)

1 comment:

Fran said...

I have to fight against being a hermit, because I really will be one, given my natural tendencies. Especially after a long day at work dealing with variants on the lunatic customer from "Notting Hill".

I think that's one reason I liked the SCA. Getting out with other people and no technology around to distract. It was a tribe thing and an escape thing and it was good.

Up here, though, it's a definite matter of making myself be social, go to dinner, go dancing. Because when all is said and done, I'd rather be home with Lillian, watching TV, surfing the net, reading or just puttering around.

I can feel the hermit walls closing in. . .