Friday, March 27, 2009

I'm listening

Between Ron and I, there is a good bit of music in this house. Both of us had pretty good collections when we got married, with enough overlap to let us know we had at least some similar tastes. He tends towards jazz, which is cool, as I've found I like a lot of the more melodious stuff, smooth jazz, so to speak, which can be pretty close to pop music. My tastes have tended to a more folk sound, with Celtic music figuring in the forefront. Today's pop music tends to be, well, silly to a large extent, and it appeals to me about as much as the pop music when I was a teen appealed to my parents. Just as it should be, I think.

Most of our music is digital and is now available to my MP3 player. Ahhhh portability. Truthfully that portability will probably encourage me to extend my music collection more than the books of disks, with the disk player that Ron seems to always find a spot for on the top shelf. Have I mentioned that I'm short? yeah. Not so much fun for me to deal with, darn it.

I took the MP3 player on the road with me this trip. It was the first time. We bought a little set of speakers, and they did fine for Raine and I to listen to. We had lots of music, and if a song didn't suit us, I just skipped to the next. They were shuffled and set on random, and I don't think we heard more than one repeat the whole time. Wow, no shuffling disks to change them, no wishing I had one more hand to juggle them, etc. It was nice. I've already enjoyed the portability of the set-up, taking it into the craft room, and out to the yard while working. The car was just one more local.

So, now I just have to go through the files of music, and sort and create a couple more files to fill the favored genres for me. Once that is done, it will be time for the shopping... a few at a time, to fill in gaps, and celebrate new stuff. Sigh. sorting. My favorite.....not.

1 comment:

Fran said...

Must say, we LOVE our iPods. Lillian was even willing to miss her bus rather than forget her iPod at work. Music we like always available? Yeah, we're all over that one.

I'm glad you discovered the joys of on-demand music on a road trip. It helps, doesn't it?