Monday, March 9, 2009

satisfaction

...a little bit anyway. I didn't get as much yard clean-up done this past weekend as the couple before it. I did, however, get the refuse to the curb this evening, while it was still light, thanks to the daylight savings. Tomorrow it will get picked up by the grappler. I have mixed feelings about sending yard waste to the grappler, and then the landfill. I would like to be more ecologically friendly, but, I've been related to too many people with stacks of newspapers and other detritus cluttering up their homes. I'm trying NOT to be the crazy cat (or anything else) lady. If I had my compost system up and running (bought/made) I would have still sent some of that to the landfill. I don't need to recycle the weeds, for instance. At this point, I'm happy that I can let go of some things and send them away. So, taking the trash out gave a little more tidiness to the yard, and a small measure of satisfaction.

Last night, and intermittently today, we got the rain I was complaining about not getting. I head it on the skylight when I got out of the shower, pit patting. It was so gentle and quiet that it went right to your sub-conscious for a soothing massage while you sleep. This morning, the air just smelled so good. That wonderful desert after the rain smell, both at home and at school. It never rained hard, just a drizzle, but around here, it counted. It counted. Another small measure of satisfaction. What more can you ask on a Monday?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Don't feel to bad about the yard waste, often times if it is marked as yard waste or is tree branches, etc that was not in a bag, it will be picked out at the transfer station and used as part of the capping materials for waste cells. They will also use it and construction debris (concrete and dirt) to help cover old cells and top them for planting. They used to have a separate grappler for yard waste. I'm not sure if they still do or not.