Thursday, March 12, 2009

must be instantly connected

That is what phone companies and other advertisers want us to think. Instant gratification makes us buy more and more. There are people who cannot seem to be ANYWHERE without - well, not just having a phone - talking on the phone. It's made us rather a rude society.

When you are physically with one person, but mentally (over the phone) with another, both are slighted. Where should your attention be? That's where your person should be, too. What bugs me most is the mindlessness of it. The thoughtlessness of treating the person or people you are with so poorly, and thinking nothing of it.

Personally, although I have a cell phone, I don't really want people to call me all of the time on it. Sure, I enjoy the convenience of being able to call from the store and ask Ron if he needs something, or would he rather have this or that choice. I absolutely want it while I'm on the road to and from work. The car could break down, or whatever. I make sure and keep in touch with my carpool in the mornings. If anyone calls me at work, though? They can expect to leave a message. The true emergencies exist, but they are far between, and often the cell phone does not make the difference.

While I am appreciative that a phone call can keep people in touch through a separation of distance, I really don't want to have to talk to people over the phone all the time. I much prefer the experience of speaking to them personally (anyone who knows me, knows that I can do some talking, too). I get to see their body language, their facial expression, even enjoy a quiet moment together. Things phone communication just doesn't give me. And don't even get me started on texting. I e-mail and IM people all the time, but texting? GAH! Frustration. I would have to have a much fancier phone than my current one. A phone with a qwerty keyboard, for example, to get into texting. Really, I just don't need to. Really.

So, how do I feel about something like Twitter, then? That its a lot of trouble and I just don't want to stalk myself. OK. You would think that I am some kind of ludite, at this point, yes? Well, no, I'm not. I might actually enjoy some of twitter... but I know my life is really not interesting enough to want to follow my every move. I haven't examined Twitter closely, for I fear I may get sucked into the swirling vortex, and soon, that self would be lost to this one. I'm going with ignorance is bliss at the moment.

I like that I CAN be connected to any one at any moment. I don't feel the need to make that connection every moment of the day or night. I'm grateful that the people I live with don't either.

1 comment:

Fran said...

I resisted a cell phone mightily, but Lillian pointed out that she and I were driving back and forth between Cruces and Albuquerque, and if the car broke down. . .yeah, so we've had cell phones ever since.

And we text each other all the time, it's annoying to others around us, we're positive, but we can't stop. We love being in touch with each other. And with the kids.

That being said, cell phones need etiquette books because you're absolutely right, they've made people impossibly rude and dangerous.

We have a sign in the shop requesting folks not talk on their cells while in the shop. Some people ignore it, some think it's imperious and rude, but most folks thank us for it.