Monday, April 13, 2009

listening to the quiet house

It is ironic that I - the one who is definitely NOT the night owl - am up later than anyone else this evening. And, really, it isn't all that late. The house is definitely quiet, though. We are in that between time, which is so lovely in New Mexico. It doesn't get cold enough to need the heater, nor is it hot enough - yet - to need the air conditioner. The TV is off (although the recorder box we have... well it isn't quiet unless it is unplugged, which I didn't do, but it is in the other room, and I have to listen really hard to hear in ramp up its little siren song. From where I sit, the house is quietly, peacefully asleep, and just as it is important to occasionally see the sunrise, and the beauty of a new day, it is also important to hear the sleep of loved ones. That doesn't mean I won't be heading for that sleep soon, myself.

Today was one of those rare lovely days when I got a vacation that no one else in the house did. It was calm and leisurely, even though I did the normally Sunday chores of laundry, shopping and a little lawn/yard care. I just kind of got to putter around as I wanted to for most of the day. I could live like that all the time, it just doesn't pay well.

I also got in touch with an old friend, and that was nice. She and I grew up together because our fathers were very good friends, and they were more like part of the family. Of course when we were adults, she went her own way, as people do, but there are fond memories there, and affection for her and her family, always.

Ahh the peace of the sleeping household. The calm before the storm of another busy, working day.

No comments: