Sunday, August 10, 2008

better in retrospect

There is this thing I do, sometimes.... I will find and become completely hooked on a TV show AFTER it has been canceled. Sometimes I can manage to find it in the last season. Often these shows will be ones that I knew I would like, but just never managed to be home that night, or something. Others, I just happen into.

Quantum Leap, for instance. I remember being vaguely aware of the program when I would be visiting someone and it would be in the background. I think I watched every episode, and enjoyed the program in syndication (which is my friend). Still, I haven't gotten to in on DVD. I think I saw all of it I needed to, already.

X-Files is another show that I was rather spotty about watching, especially in the early seasons. Now it is out on DVD and I am picking it up at Sam's where they have it for $21 a season (I consider that a good price for a season of something). We are watching some of the first season episodes, and I remember a lot of them, but not as specifically first season. I'm being impressed on second impression of this program with the quality of the first season episodes.

Firefly is kind of the same. I mean, I wanted to watch the program, being a product of Joss Whedon and all, and I did catch some episodes. Some I came in the middle of, like the episode where River boards the ship of the bounty hunter while he is aboard Serenity and she is using the comm system to speak as the ship. That was kind of disconcerting when I watched it from the middle, out of context. Still, only one season of what was a very entertaining series. The movie ties up a lot of loose ends and we own both, and they get watched fairly frequently, too.

It is awsome to be able to try out these series even after the fact - although I am sure there is something to be said for prime-time viewing. Whether it is in syndication and re-runs, or as I now prefer, on DVD, with no commercials, the timing can eventually be right.

No comments: