Thursday, August 21, 2008

kids & change

You, know, the money kind. I'm a teacher, and we don't get rich on our salaries. At least I haven't figured out how to.

Usually I don't take much money to school with me, and what I do take is mostly spoken for already, but often I'll keep a little bit of change in my desk, so I can buy a soda if it's been one of THOSE days. It's pretty early in the year, so I hadn't gotten my change up and going yet, but still, here came a day when a soda would have been just what the dr. ordered. The next morning, I actually remembered to raid the change in my car and took about 75 cents in with me. 75 cents. wooo living large.

On my way into the building, a kid asked me if I had change. What? Did he see me rummaging in my car? Was there a sign over my head? If I had had more change, I might have shared, but no. Later that day, another student popped into my classroom at lunch, wondering if I had change. Yikes! Are they psychic? Do those coins have a stronger than normal scent? Mine!

Sad, huh.

2 comments:

Fran said...

Moochers, each and every one of 'em. Unless they were favored students, my answer was always, "Are you kidding? On my salary? Ask your folks or your friends."

Eventually the asking stopped. But you have a kind and generous face, my dear!

Dina said...

It was just strange that no one had asked until the day I made a conscious effort to bring change for myself.