Saturday, August 30, 2008

chili, and cooking

Labor Day weekend means Hatch Chili Festival. No, I didn't go, and don't really plan to this year. Yes, I have been to it, and much like other town festivals, I'm not really impressed. I don't care for the midway or the overpriced cheap stuff that you are supposed to buy as mementos.

The chili, however, I can get into. I bought my Hatch green chili at Albertsons, where they will roast it for you free. If the bag I bought was any indication, and I'm assuming it is, the chili this year is GOOD! The 35 pounds I got roasted is meaty and firm and de-licious. It was great for lunch with tomatoes from the farmer's market, and great for dinner too.

Dinner was our first experiment with savory pie. Carl and I are going to work on them, I think, and see how pie dough fares with a hearty flour. I definately need to work on my pie dough skills for this project, but we will keep you posted on our results. Tonight's pie was kind of a nacho pie with hamburger, velveta, green chili in it. The crust was half/half regular flour and barley flour (I think). I got it rolled out, but it fell apart when I tried to put it in the pan. Still, I think we might make something of this.

1 comment:

Fran said...

Vicious. Deep. Complete. Soul-devouring. ENVY.

Don't worry about your writing, girl. Your descriptions are fabulous.

Wench.