Wednesday, August 13, 2008

more food

Tonight, we had a crustless quiche for dinner. Onion and carroway It was sooo yummy. I have been searching for something that we could make ahead for breakfast. I don't mind cooking, but I don't like to have to get up and do it in the morning on a work day. We've been having eggs, mainly, nice protien. SO that suggests quiche, doesn't it. But what about the crust? maybe not a big enough deal to worry about, but, then again... Anyway, Carl and I have been discussing, and considering possibilities.

I thought I would look at the quiche recipes we have, and see what they looked like. Maybe make the quiche just with out a crust. Well, lo and behold, in the Jeff Smith, Frugal Gourmet, Cooking American recipe book (yeah, yeah, I know about his reputation, I still enjoy his recipes) there were severall variations of crustless quiche. The recipe does call for flour, one half cup for 10 eggs, much less per serving than a crust would be. Looking through, I though hey, we have all the ingredients for this onion carroway one already in the house, so I marked the place, trusting Carl's ESP. Sure enough, he thought, Hey! I think we have all the ingredients for this one! And he made it. And it was DELICIOUS! Fran, Lillian, I know you like onions, and this might be a good dish to add to your reptoire. Good for dinner with a side veggie or salad (we had fresh tomatos to cut up on the side, thanks to the farmer's market). I've portioned out the remainder, and put the pieces in plastic bags. It seems reasonably stable. I'm looking forward to warming and having some for breakfast.

OH, and just to let you know... green chile in a 35 pound bag, $20. Let the roasting begin!

2 comments:

Fran said...

I was all set to discuss quiche (which I don't much like but Lillian does) and then. Then you HAD to put that last bit in.

I am going to sit up here and POUT. You have no idea how much we long for the green chili that you guys get. No. Idea.

Quiche. Bah. Green chili is where it's at!

Dina said...

If you think of it as an egg casserole, is that better? This quiche was not quite the custard-y consistency of some quiche.

As for the chile, $20 a bag isn't too bad... of course bagging it up after roasting, freezing it and then packing it so it will stay frozen and paying for shipping is the hard part. And yes, I know what bait to use to catch my friends. lol