Tuesday, August 12, 2008

kindergarten

Ahhh the magical days of kindergarten. Did you go? Do you remember it? I remember that I walked there, and that the boy who lived next door went there too. I remember getting in trouble one day because I rode home with the neighbor. I didn't really understand at the time, but I never did it again. I think my mom said later (like after I'd grown up) that she drank. I remember laying on a mat for a nap. That's about it.

My brothers went to a different kindergarten, because we moved. I always loved to go with Mom to get them because there was a very cool pedal carousel there, and I could ride it for a bit. It was a big deal! I loved that thing, and was very jealous that they got to be there all the time.

This year, Raine will start to kindergarten, which is now a part of her public education, and full day at that. We've put together school uniforms. I supplied the supplies. Ron and Raine will go meet her teacher tomorrow. She starts officially on Friday. Am I nervous? Not very, and I certainly don't want to telegraph it to Raine. I want her to be excited to go. Am I ready for my baby to start school? Oh, yes. She is so ready. Ready to learn, ready to go make friends. The school is really a neighborhood school, so she will make friends who live near us, and soon will get to know the joy of walking to a friend's house to play, or having some one ring the doorbell to see if she can play. She's REALLY going to love that, social creature that she is. Many parents have a hard time thinking that their "baby" is growing up. I revel in it... she changes and grows, and I enjoy her at every stage. I hope I can even enjoy it... at least some... when she is a teenager, but I'm not looking forward to dealing with this stubborn and strong willed individual as a teenager. Fortunately, right now, she's still 5, and a big girl heading for school.

1 comment:

Fran said...

Yay, that magical First Day of School, when all things are possible, and yeah, it's kinda big and scary the first time but that goes away quickly!

I still love the first drink of milk out of the carton because it tastes like the milk we got before we lay down with our blankies and had a nap.

I miss that. Naps are SO underappreciated by the young!

Congratulations to the Big Girl on her first day, when it comes around!