Sunday, October 19, 2008

hair and mommies and daughters

My "moment of zen" (thanks to the Daily Show) came pretty early today. I was sitting at my computer, checking my e-mail and doing computer-y stuff when Raine came up to see what I was doing and talk to me. Pretty soon she was playing with my hair, as children will do, and trying to "comb" it (it was braided at the time, not that easy to comb). Well she went to her room and came back carrying her box of hair stuff. Now, she has all kinds of barrettes, hair ties and the like, being a girl and all, and me having visions of doing her hair into cute styles at some time or another. Which just doesn't happen. Not that I wouldn't do it, but she would rather have short hair, and doesn't go for any "girl-y" stuff like that. She hates pink and wearing a dress may actually cause her skin to burst into a small flame. Yesterday when we went to the Farmer's market, she got her face painted as a (very cool) red dragon. She was still wearing her 'jamas on - a shirt with a set of glow-in-the-dark skeleton ribs on it.

So, anyway, there we were, her all red-dragon and bones, putting all of those little girly cute things around my head in my hair, and of course I was leaning over so she could reach. There she was, being my hairdresser, even down to an outrageous foreign accent of some flavor. I had more than a dozen barrettes of one type or another, plastic flowers and butterflies and bars, transparent flowers of blue, red, yellow and green. I had hair ties around my braid. I had a headband even. It was a work of art. I'm sure it was, even though she did not bring me the mirror. When she was done, she carefully and gently removed everything she had put in. Then she put it all away. (I know, that part doesn't really sound true, but it is!)

So, here we were, having our quintessential mother and daughter time of fixing the hair. I loved it!

1 comment:

Fran said...

And no pictures? Not a one?