Tuesday, October 28, 2008

mmorpg

So, Ron came up with this idea. Let's play Warcraft again. I kinda went "huh? I thought you were just DONE with that game..." Well, he was. But time has passed. There are new games on the horizon, but it is one of those trick horizons and they never seem to get any closer.

We've tried other games. He's tried more than I have. See, I do other stuff. Not necessarily any more meaningful, nor better, just other. Then when I would get to sit at the computer needing the undivided attention and stuff, there is a five-year-old running around my house. This sitting and paying attention thing was more difficult when she was younger, but it still holds. He and I have about an hour in the evenings to play on the computer. The hour between Raine going to bed, and Ron going to bed. That is not enough for me to learn a new game. It just isn't.

Ron plays them in the afternoons and he figures them out. Really, he's better at them in the first place, than I am, but that is OK. (we're coming back around to the topic, really we are...) When we try a new game, like Lord of the Rings Online, or Warhammer, there is a learning curve. I get to take care of it in that one a-fore-mentioned hour. He takes care of it long before I do. Then, when we are playing, I follow him around and feel pretty useless. I have no idea where the quests are. I can't hit anything first or hardest, or even soak up that much damage. If there is a chest, I don't get to open it. Wait. What do you mean that doesn't sound like all that much fun? OH, right. It doesn't because it isn't. I could put my character on autofollow and have just as much effect, generally speaking.

Well. Other things are more important right now. They just are. But I have missed the computer gaming. I have enjoyed it. It is something that we can share. In the past, when Ron was ready to change games, I didn't care which game. He gets through them faster than I do, but I'm willing to try something new. I vowed that I would really try to learn Warhammer, and I meant it. I don't think I was doing too badly on it. But then, I would come in to see what Ron was doing, and he would be busy with something else, and I would get busy with something else myself. So, again, the play was still missing.

This week we've started new characters on a different server, and we are already level 11 and long out of the first newbie zone. We are playing a race we hadn't before, and back on the horde side. We started in the horde, but then took up alliance. Its been a good while since we played horde and there are new places to explore, and we'll have to be careful not to run up on things that were friendly to alliance just because we are used to doing it. I think I'm happy to be back to WoW. To have to face a much shorter learning/relearning curve. To feel useful and able and to enjoy the game for a change. Besides, the random name generator in the game came up with a very cool name: Variaria.

1 comment:

Fran said...

You've nailed completely why I don't move on from EQ. I know it. I can play it, and while I haven't played in over a year and they have new zones and skills and stuff, I'd pick it up quickly enough because I know the basics. I'm just not ready to sit down and figure out what the rules are in a new game, so I don't.

And I haven't gone back to EQ because it's such a time sink and I really should be writing. But I'm not doing that either, so. . .