Thursday, October 16, 2008

stuck?

Sometimes I wonder - especially as I blog - am I stuck too much in my own little world? I know that mainly I comment on things that happen to me, make comments to my friends, think over things that are important to me. This is, in the main, an exercise in getting my thoughts down, so that is what happens here. I offer the blog - besides that - as a way for my friends and family far away to get to know me better, and as a conversation starter, more or less... and as such also as a way for me to get to know them better as well.

I've used this blog as a stepping stone onto other writing, as I hoped that I could. I'm loving it for that. Is it too much of a personal tool, though? Do I/can I make observations - or enough of them - that interest an audience beyond myself? I mean I suppose a journal is part of a metacognitive look at what one knows, or thinks one does. Is this really more of a journal than a blog? Should I comment on the wider world? Should I be interested in more of it? (probably, to some degree, I should be) Then, if I am creating more of a shared journal, than a true blog... is that necessarily a bad thing? Do I care if I don't reach a wider audience with my blog? Right now, I'm thinking I would like a tiny bit wider, but not much. In the future? Who knows.

I suppose it reflects the inwardness of my life lately. I have a young daughter, and she is important to me. That takes time and attention. I have a husband. Sometimes, I'm not sure that I'm good at the being married thing... What to share, when... how... What to keep to myself. What expectations do I have? Which ones are his? As my daughter gets a little older, and is more ready for her own ventures beyond our house/family, I'm sure my focus will include more of those things again. Indeed, it has started to already. So, I don't comment much on politics, or world issues beyond how they affect me. I don't have some over arching philosophy regarding them, either. I suppose if I did, I wouldn't be writing this now. But, am I stuck? In my own little world? In my own head?

2 comments:

Fran said...

If you don't mind, I think I'll use this as a jumping off place for my blog.

But in my opinion, what you're writing is important, even if it doesn't immediately seem like it.

Dina said...

I don't mind at all.

And, thanks... The process of writing is important. My metacognition never leaves me alone, though... and so I question.