Wednesday, October 29, 2008

yikes

As if testing, testing, testing wasn't enough, the school district I work for has a budget shortfall of 3.9 million dollars. Yes, I know, someone, somewhere wasn't doing right by us. And they are gone now. So is the money. (and not to me, either)

What now? Well, Cynthia Nava, our superintendent, has several ideas. She and others at Central Office have turned in their GISD vehicles and their gas cards. She's asked everyone to be conservative in their energy usage. She also said, to help defray the cost of substitute teachers, that the people who work at GAC (Central Office) would be acting as subs. woah. Don't know how many days a month any particular person there will be a sub, but, wow, just think of having the district superentendent walking in to be your sub. You better be doin' it right, is all I got to say... I mean the classroom teacher. I think you would want her to see your classroom at its best, even without you in it. But what I cool thing for her to do! And, yes, she said that she would personally act as a sub, as well. Not just "other people."

So, should I worry about my job? Should others in the district? Well, who knows, but I'm not jumping the gun, here. There is now a hiring freeze, not a surprise. They are expecting to loose teachers through attrition, like retirement, etc, but not to have to fire anyone. They may have to move people around, some, though. For instance a new elementary school is planned and budgeted for etc, but they won't be hiring new people to staff it, but moving teachers around in the district to do so. I suspect my job will change from what it is now to something else. The budget issue might affect what it changes to, but I know that my job is going to change somewhat, no matter what the budget does. I'm developing an intervention, and it is going to change, no matter what.

So, what about this budget thing? I will wait and see. I am interested in finding out what happens and how the issues are resolved. I mean with the economy what it is already, and no one offering to bail out schools, only big businesses, well, I'm sure you get the drift here. I wonder just what, exactly, is going to happen.

1 comment:

Fran said...

Whoa indeed! What's that going to do to class size? Are they going to stop funding extra-curricular activites - like football?

Did someone walk off with the money, skimming the top somehow, or was it just used badly? And who was supposed to be watching this anyway?

But how cool that the Superintendent is going to sub!