Saturday, November 1, 2008

daylight savings

Don't forget to change your clocks. It's that time again. Is it just me, or does there seem to be some sort of convergence here? A confluence of energies... Halloween, going off daylight saving time, presidential elections... all rather centered around this weekend. Should I beware what may fall from the sky?

Speaking of the sky, I hope you got to see the moon tonight where you are. It was a little fingernail sliver, and when I saw it, it was on the way to setting. Turning from clear to ruddy as it neared the horizon. Lovely.

We had lovely split pea soup for dinner. Home-made, of course. We got a three-pack of smoked turkey legs at Sam's a few weeks ago. I used one to flavor the soup, and it was very yummy. I think this is a recommendation, in fact. We wanted something that would be pretty easy to put into soups, or to flavor beans or the like when cooking them. So far we used one leg in the split pea soup and another in a batch of black-eyed peas. There really is a good amount of meat on the leg, and not much fat, but the smoke flavor adds a lot of richness. Good for those use less red meat diets. The turkey legs can be put in their own bags in the freezer for easy pull out and pop in the pot-ness.

So, I hope you had a lovely, relaxing Saturday, too.

1 comment:

Fran said...

I'm with you -- let's see what this confluence brings.

I love the turkey leg idea. I just wish I liked split pea soup, but there you go.

We've been making soup with beef oxtails. Rich, nourishing and not tons of red meat involved, like with, say, stew.

But turkey legs, now. . .I'm going to have to give that some thought!