Saturday, November 15, 2008

what happened?

I didn't blog last night? What is up with that? I don't know. I didn't consciously think not to, but here it is, and there it isn't, so...

Here we are now, and it's already Saturday evening. Sunday morning, more accurately. A nice evening of board games for Carl and I while Ron sat them out, staying home with Raine. He's not a big board game fan.

No, we didn't play Monopoly or Sorry, or any of those board games. We played Railroad Tycoon and Puerto Rico. And I lost miserably. At both games. And still had fun! Honestly, I don't mind losing, even coming in dead last. I don't always. Occasionally I even win. But, I don't mind losing, especially when the winners are good winners... You know, no gloating. Strategy is fine. A poker face I can deal with. Gloating gets really old really fast. And really, so much of a game is timing, and I'm not good at that. I was on the cusp, both games, of starting my run for the money. Too late... AH well.

So, you say you've never heard of Railroad Tycoon or Puerto Rico? Try your local gaming store, or online. Strategy games are a great way to learn something (anything in my case) about history. They are also a great way to spend 3 or 4 hours (and sometimes more, depending on the game), and learn (imagine that) strategy. And they make a great gift too! (just thought I'd add that for the shopping season)

1 comment:

Fran said...

I know Railroad Tycoon, or something similar. When I spent time with Riogan up in Socorro, he and his mom and I would play something similar. I always lost horribly; he's a genius at this sort of thing.

But both he and his mom made sure I never felt stomped on and you're right, there's a lot to learn. They're seriously fun games. I'm glad you had fun.