Sunday, August 16, 2009

almost through the weekend

We made it through the funeral services. One pretty much does, doesn't one. Saying goodbye is such a necessary part of things isn't it.

I asked about coming to pick up stuff today, but was asked to come tomorrow. I had already taken Monday off to help deal with things, so its no problem. I just have to remember to ask for all the family things. Or leave a list if they happen to turn up or something. It means more boxes, and it means more memories stuffed away for a bit. That's hard right now. It will become easier with time.

The real upside of that is that I get to walk Raine to school in the morning for her first day of first grade and I will have time to walk her in and meet her teacher with her. I'm very happy to get to do that. So many of my age peers have raised their kids, and many are enjoying young grandchildren. I'm enjoying the love and laughter and crankiness of my daughter. I don't know that she keeps me young, or anything, but I cherish her, and this time with her more than I would have at any other time in my life.

It is also such a comfort when the heart and mind are struggling with death, to have children around. They fill me with hope and the knowledge that the future is waiting for us to get there. Any way. Smarmy or not. Profound, I doubt. I'm almost through the hard part.

No comments: