Tuesday, August 25, 2009

well...

No one's perfect, and - as much as I love my daughter - I realize that she is one of those imperfect beings as well. This evening, she lied about eating dinner, hoping to get a fudgecicle. She said she ate at her friend's house, but she did not. I checked it out, and not only did she not get any treats, she also had to sit and eat dinner at home... WITHOUT complaining about what she was having.

We've noticed a recent trend. We try to remind her to wash her hands after using the restroom, and have to check them, even if she says she did it. We have to check if she's brushed her teeth, on occasion as well. Now, I know that none of these "little lies" is going to cause the world to crash in, but if she lies about these things, who knows what she'll lie about in the future. SO, its time to nip it in the bud, as they say.

She lost TV for the evening, and earned an extra chore. We talked about how it wouldn't really be nice if she couldn't be trusted to tell us the truth. Her friend's parents wouldn't want her to play with their kids if they couldn't trust her. It would make me sad and I would have to watch her all the time so I could see what she was doing. You know, that sort of thing. Trying to mix some consequences in with some talking to. Hard to tell what sinks in, though.

I could use some suggestions though. What has been done that seemed to work?

2 comments:

Fran said...

Ahh, boundary testing! Dont you love it?

Not.

It sounds like you're doing all the right things. I finally got so fed up with Ty's shenanigans like this (when he was about that age), that I cried. Oddly enough, that worked. Of all things, ultimately he hated disappointing me more than anything.

But each child is different, and there's no telling what will work with that precocious child of yours. Just keep at it.

Dina said...

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Raine has certainly shown us that she's willing to live at the far end of her boundaries more than once.