Saturday, August 22, 2009

sewing sewing

I know I've mentioned Saturday sewing with my cousin Roxanne. Last week, with all the other things going on, we had to take a pass. Today, we were back at it, and accomplishing good things.

I wanted to get a skort sewn up for Steph's daughter. It's been sitting in the basket for about a month now, and I already had a top sewn up for her sister. Now I can send them both on. I sure hope they fit... Then, I hemmed a blanket for Roxanne's grandson. He loved it. It has kitties on it and they go "Meow." Just ask him. He'll tell you. (He's almost 2.)

While I was working on those, Roxanne was working on a new outfit for herself. Pants and a top. She got the top finished, and then decided it really needed to have slits in the sides, so while she did that, I went to work on the pants. I got the pieces put together and she tried them on, and it was a good thing she did, because they would have been too low-rise for her to be comfortable with. Now, we can find a fabric to go with them (it won't take much), and make a waistband with it that will be covered by the top anyway. It's going to be a cute outfit.

Besides that, I took a basket of stuff I have had cut out for ever... like since we lived in Colorado, 6 years ago. We went through the basket, and washed the pieces, so they wouldn't be so dusty, and decided whether to make up what was cut out, or use that fabric some other way. We also decided what to do with the uncut fabric that had been in the basket too. One of the pieces was a border print with cats along the bottom. It will be so easy to make a really cute skirt out of it that Roxanne will love. Another piece was some light denim, with lycra in it. It had been folded and near a window for a while evidently, and had faded along the fold lines. We decided to wash it with some bleach to make the faded bits more irregular, so then you could maybe make something out of it. I had to leave before the process was over, but even if it didn't work... quilt!

This is a great opportunity for me to go through my stash and be able to use some of it and organize the rest. If a fabric doesn't hit our imagination, creativity or needs for the moment, it can go back into the stash for a while until it does. I'm having great fun, sewing with Roxanne, and I so look forward to the time we get to spend together and work together. Dev, you really gotta come, too!

1 comment:

Fran said...

Don't you just love when you find an unexpected piece of wonderful fabric buried in your stash pile?

It sounds like you guys are having tons of fun!