Saturday, August 1, 2009

another post

I went and sewed with Roxanne again today. We are trying to make it a weekly get-together. We have been enjoying the time spent together, and the creativity and the productivity. She and I talked about how creativity - both in the sense of being creative and in the sense of actually creating something was fulfilling in a basic sort of way. She is facing some health challenges, and being able to make things that she liked, and then were actually useful as she created the wardrobe that she wanted, helped her feel better about some things.

I agree with her about the creativity and creation, and feeling that those elements - like learning - have a place in our every-day lives. There have been times when I have realized how much happier in general I feel when I am including those kinds of activities in my days or weeks or whatever.

While I was there today, I had a couple of other insights that were cool. One had to do with the sewing guild, in a way. At least that put my thoughts in a frame of reference that I could wrap my head around. Sewing guild encourages its members to belong to "neighborhood" groups. These groups can - but don't need to -be people who are geographically near each other. Or, they can be a group of people who are interested in similar sewing projects. I kind of realized today that I was kind of starting my own family group. We are trying to get Roxanne's mom involved, even though she really doesn't sew, she can still be involved and visit with us, and be part of it, if she wants to. We also have invited Roxanne's niece to come. She could learn how to sew, and we could pass our creative skill to another generation. Cool, huh. I think we may even start inviting her sister in law. Don't think she sews, and don't know if she is interested, but - just like Roxanne's mom - there are still ways to help out and be a part. I was very excited and happy to make this realization.

The other insight has to do with my idea of "createlivity." Living a creative life and being personally creative. Having a venue to create regularly, and accept some creative challenges. I have been thinking about various ways to bring that about, to get started on that path, and here it is, right where my feet are walking anyway. Again, very cool.

So, this one simple activity, started almost by accident, is satisfying me in so many ways. It starts with being a wonderful way to make and keep family connections strong, and just blossoms more with each project. Today, Roxanne was sewing together the beautiful yellow gored skirt that I cut out last week, and I was sewing up a couple of tops that I had cut out in my cutting frenzy.

2 comments:

Fran said...

Isn't that kind of what the old sewing circles and quilting bees were all about? Sure, it's about making stuff, but it was the friendship, the camaraderie, the bonding of women as a group (and it does tend to be women, doesn't it?) that made them strong.

Good for you and Roxanne!

Dina said...

Everything old is new again. LOL