Saturday, August 29, 2009

Serger action

Over a year ago, a friend of mine arranged for me to get a serger type machine.It was a daunting thought to have to be responsible for all those threads, and needles and oh, it has a blade. Have I ever mentioned how often I bleed on things? I consider it a blood offering so things will be completed well.

Ok, the serger. It sat in storage. It sat in my craft room, on a counter behind stuff, waiting for me to be ready to use it. Last summer, my friend gave me some serger lessons. I operated her machine. I sewed up an outfit for Raine. Nothing exploded or even imploded. Still, that machine sat.

Finally, before school started, I put it out on the table where the other machine is. I uncovered it, got the book out, and threaded it up. I even sewed together a pair of pants that I have enjoyed wearing a couple of times. Today I took that baby out to Roxanne's for sewing day. I sewed up a top for her mom on it, and got a bunch done on a shirt for Raine as well. I left it there so Roxanne could work on the top she & her mom cut out for her (just like the one for her mom).

Wow, I felt like I was really getting comfortable with the machine. I could feel like I might use it more and more often. It works beautifully, and I could even do the tie the new thread to the old thread trick for changing colors, and it worked quite well. I still had to thread one needle, but still, I called it a success.

This one is fast fading from the "to do" list, and growing stronger on the "done" one.

2 comments:

Fran said...

CONGRATULATIONS!

I look at sergers and every molucule in my body seizes up.

I'm so proud of you!

Dina said...

Yep, I know EXACTLY what you mean... Still, in my own time, I got ready for it.