Thursday, August 12, 2010

once bitten

Fran asked what books we were reading, which makes me think to write about it just a bit. I'm reading Jennifer Rardin's book, Once Bitten, Twice Shy, and I'm really enjoying it. Now that school has started, my available time for reading has been cut way back, but I had a very nice summer for reading. Better than for a long while, now.

We've implemented (read: had thrust upon us) a school wide SSR program this year, so the students have enforced reading for pleasure for 30 minutes about 4 times a week. Well, let me tell you, I am the reading gestapo! OK, maybe not quite, but I do make them sit, and have the book open and be quiet, while I walk around the class, reading my book. No, I'm not reading aloud, but there are many choices of reading material that they can choose from in my room, and much more than that available in the library. Yes, we went. They have even had the opportunity to check something out. So, I get to keep reading...

Back to Once Bitten... It is in that up-and-coming genre of urban fantasy, which I'm finding I enjoy. The main character, Jaz Parks has an interesting mix of strengths and weaknesses, and she is partnered with an interesting vampire "good-guy." Why the quotation marks? Well, they work for the CIA, as assassins. I think that makes them kind of dark for good guys, but the bad guys are really, really bad. Still I am enjoying the book, and want to read more. Good thing its a series! Fran, did you send this book to me? If you did, good job!

1 comment:

Fran said...

It doesn't sound familiar, but then that doesn't mean anything. If I see something I think someone will like, I might very well ship it off. I'm weird that way.

Glad you're enjoying it! Keep me/us posted about how the enforced reading goes down. I remember we tried it once before.