Tuesday, July 22, 2008

creativity

I'm believe that we all need a creative outlet. At least one, that is exercised regularly. I have several: crafts, sewing, writing, lesson planning, and sometimes even cooking. Many people find their creative outlet in their work, where they use their skills to create something, whether it be a lesson, a house, or a sidewalk, or even some marvelous medical breakthrough. Almost any job can serve as a creative outlet, if you create, or use your creativity some way.

In the teaching profession, it is said that our goal is to create life long learners. I would phrase it a little differently, and work toward lifelong creators. If you are creating, you are learning. You are trying new materials, new combinations, and new techniques, and you are getting better at what you are doing. Sometimes you teach someone else, and teaching is also learning.

Still, it is our hobbies that usually allow our creative sides to show through. There are many benefits to practicing creativity. The act of creating gives me a happy feeling and a contentment that nothing else does. Even when a project goes horribly wrong, the experimentation was a good thing. Well, mostly. Finishing a project feels so satisfying. Finally, when I look at my finished project, and it pleases me esthetically, that makes it all feel even better. Most of my craft projects are given away as gifts. I feel like I'm giving the recipient a little bit of me, or at least a closer look at who I am.

1 comment:

Fran said...

Shrinky Dinks! Dover!

Yeah, I sometimes write, but when I need a total break to clear my head, I love to color. I have no idea why, but it pleases me no end. I find it to be very relaxing.

Creativity is what it's all about. That's what keeps us going. Good for you for promoting it!