Wednesday, July 9, 2008

rainy season

Want to see someone who appreciates rain? Look in a desert. Any desert. Our rainy season has started, here in southern NM, and it has been raining. I don't mean it has been getting cloudy and humid. We haven't been having thunderstorms rumble through the valley, as beautiful as those are. I don't even mean there are some clouds in the sky raining on something - but not anything in my neighborhood - which is what happens a lot. We are getting RAIN. Last night it rained, and the night before too. I wouldn't be surprised if it rained tonight. It was certainly coming down this afternoon. I nice rain that would back off a bit to let some water soak in, then here it would come again. The kind of rain you can really sleep to.

What does that mean to us? Well, the fire danger goes down. The plantlife starts greening up and blooming (hello allergy season, some more) which give the wildlife something to eat and drink. Maybe the bears in places like Ruidoso and Cloudcroft will be able to back away from the garbage cans and go further up into the mountains. Clann War will be able to happen, although I won't be going.

What else? My yard is greening up. Oh, I know, I water the measly grass that I have. I really like a green, grassy yard, but I live in a desert, for heaven's sake, and watering that much just doesn't seem like the right thing to do all the time. My grass never looks green like this until it rains, though. There is just something about the rain that makes it come alive, really alive. People in all those wet climates take it for granted, don't they. Don't they? I don't though. All the colors get that clean brightness to them after a rain. We can soak it in while we are soaking in life, like the grass.

2 comments:

Fran said...

Oh man, we DO miss that! The smell of the rain in the desert is one of the top three things we miss. If you could bottle that smell, we'd buy you out.

And while you're getting rain, up here in the soggy Pacific Northwest, we're getting non-stop sun. It's pretty darned cool, but if we don't have a breeze off the Bay or the Sound, there will be whining the likes of which you can only find in a room full of toddlers.

Pictures? Dare I ask? Of greening desert or New Mexico rain?

Dina said...

Pictures? What a good idea! I'll see what I can do.