Tuesday, July 15, 2008

going in early

So, as you know, I'm a teacher in a public school system in NM. I work in a high school, and for the most part I really like it. One of the nice things about being a public school teacher, is of course the down-time. Whether it is 3 weeks at a time if you work in a year-round school, or a few more weeks put together in the summer, that down time is one of the ways to recharge your batteries and not get burned out in what can be a stressful and (at times) frustrating career.

I know there are teachers who work in their classrooms during their breaks, and spend many hours there on weekends and evenings. Frankly, that isn't me. I might (MIGHT) do more if my classroom weren't about 20 miles away from my home, but still, my time is MY time. I am, however willing to put some extra preparation time in occasionally.

GHS is starting a 9th grade academy this year, and I will be working in said academy. Tomorrow and Thursday, the team of teachers and whatever administrator(s) are going to be working on some general guidelines for this academy. The school's effort is fueled by state mandates and numbers of students who do - or more accurately - don't test as grade level proficient. My effort is fueled in the main by my feeling that we do our students an injustice by letting them graduate uneducated... or at least without the basic tools to educate themselves. It is frustrating because the students disconnect from their education, and it is they - not the teachers - who have the real work to do. It is their education, and they fail themselves when they choose not to participate in the process. I personally am not good at this motivation. I keep trying the "see, you really need this" approach, but they are not in a place to hear it, or ???

So this year of teaching will be a learning experience for me. It could be a wonderful chance to work with my peers and make a positive change, or it could flop miserably. I vote for the former, and am willing to put in a few extra hours to implement that change.

1 comment:

Fran said...

Freshmen, bless their pointed little hearts, simply cannot imagine ever being out of school. It's just what life IS.

Have you thought about turning the tables on them? "What are you planning on doing after high school?" followed by "How are you going to succeed in that?" and bit by bit let them figure out that they do need to read/write/communicate. Or use math. It's making it practical for them that'll get their attention, as I recall.

But hey, I've been away from it for a while. What do I know?