Sunday, July 13, 2008

getting tired

I have a five-year-old daughter. This year she has really started to become a social creature, wanting friends to play with. Its fun to watch her connect with other kids. Last summer, we worked on our house almost all summer, trying to get it ready to move into before school started, which didn't happen, so while she had half a day of pre-school every day, I really didn't get much into other entertainment for her.

This summer has been different. For one thing, it was much more relaxed for me, and more fun. I've spent a lot of my time making sure Raine gets entertained. Not TOO much of my time, because that's just going overboard, but still. Today we met her friend Ezekiel, and his mom, who is my friend and her sister's house (also my friend) for some swimming. Mostly both of the moms wanted tired kids... and who better to get a kid busy and tired than another kid! She goes to bed better, she falls asleep better, she is happier because she's having fun.

Makes me look back on my own summer childhood. How many times did my mother tell my brothers and I "Go out and play!" and we did, because she would put us to work if we didn't. We spent many summer afternoons up at the Elk's pool in our neighborhood. We swam and swam and had a blast. No clue that our mom's ultimate goal was a simple one... get those kids tired out, and I'm too busy to do it myself (or tired, or whatever). Hmmmm, mom... good job!

No comments: