Friday, July 11, 2008

a sewing rantlet

Not a big rant... more like a whine, but you just can't hear the tone of voice.

I've written about how I really like to sew. It satisfies my creativity, and I get a good sense of accomplishment when I have finished something. I enjoy putting the pieces together and having the shape of whatever I'm sewing come together. I like garment sewing, but I also enjoy craft sewing as well. One year I made and dressed bunnies for all the young girls I knew at the time. I made about a dozen. I kept one, and entered it into the fair, even.

The planning part is fun, but I can't say that I always have a good eye for colors or style. I've learned to ask people who are better at that than I am... this? or this? The white buttons or the metal ones? I have to be careful though, because I have made some heinous things on my own. Oh yeah. Without help, I'm sure I would look like a sofa on occasion... Still, even though I'm not great at that part, I enjoy looking through patterns, and am addicted to walking through aisles of fabric, touching, touching, touching.

Here's the part that I don't really like... the cutting out of the pattern. bleah. What a pain! All the folding and refolding of the fabric... waving all this tissue paper around like it was actually not going to tear, or get sweated on. Pinning the pieces down, measuring for accuracy (yes, I do that) and then repositioning and repinning. Hoping that I actually remember to put the pieces the right direction for those one-way fabrics that every now and then I talk myself into ( or don't actually notice that they are until it's home). And we haven't even picked up the scissors yet! OK, once everything is set, the cutting out isn't actually awful, but I do find myself clenching my teeth with the closing of the scissors. OOps, does that make me weird? Oh, well, I am.

Generally, I cut out as many things as I can stand in a given time and make a nice pile which gets sewn up as I have time to do the fun stuff. Sewing! Its what to do!

1 comment:

Fran said...

Aren't there times when you wish you could un-cut something? Man.

I used to sew all the time. Not so much any more. But I applaud your tenacity!