Thursday, July 10, 2008

instant message

I like to instant message with my friends. Not texting on the phone, but on the computer, where I can really type. I'm not a big phone person. I'm just not. I grew up with one phone in the house, and no, I couldn't monopolize it for very long. No one in our house really wanted to, though. So, yeah, I have a cell phone, and yes, of course, I enjoy talking to my friends on it. Hearing someone's voice can really make them feel closer. On a daily basis, though, I really like IM.

I can talk to more than one person at a time, without being rude to any of them. More than you can do on a phone... and in person, multiple concurrent conversations are just... crazy. And, if I must visit the restroom, I can do it on my own, and continue the conversation in a moment. Can't do that with a phone without putting someone on hold, or calling them back. Most people don't do either...

There are some things that I have "experimented" with and observed. Some people type faster than others... I have had to learn to be a little patient, and not overwhelm someone, just to be "talking." On the other hand, it is kind of cool to be able to have a couple of conversations at the same time on occasion. Since the text lasts, you can look back at what the other person said for a refresher if needed. I also like being able to leave someone a message that they can get on their own time, and respond to, for me to get when I can. MUCH better than phone tag. Of course e-mail offers that too... and I do like my e-mail for a lot of the same reasons, it just isn't quite so conversational. I also like being able to send someone an interesting link, or the like...

So, thank you, instant messaging, for coming along, and making me able to keep in touch with my friends better. I enjoy conversing with you... and I try not to let my fingers run away with me. (I'll bet I'm a faster typist than I used to be...)

No comments: