Monday, July 21, 2008

summer vacation winding down

Here it is, the last couple of weeks of summer vacation. This year's vacation was much more restful and vacation-y than last years, and that has been a very good thing. Swimming lessons have ended. I've shopped for Raine's school supplies for kindergarten, and gotten some clothes prepared for her as well... she will be going to a uniformly dressed school. She won't really mind that I don't think. At least not at first. It will sure make getting her to pick clothes out easier... here's the drawer that has the things you can wear to school... pick a bottom, pick a top, put them on. She's been favoring white T-shirts lately. I think that is because her friend Ezekiel has been wearing them with his swim suit. They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. She likes Ezekiel a lot.

Can I say I've met my high summer goals? Well, all of them to some degree, none are finished. To be realistic, many of them are indeed ongoing goals... I'll make a couple more pieces before school starts, and some kids clothes to donate. I straightened and organized our household files, and that has made those easier to deal with. I shredded a lot of paper and got it out of my hair and house. I didn't get all the boxes emptied that I would have liked to, but there are fewer in the house than there were.

I had even wanted to make home-made pasta this summer, and I got to do that, thanks to Steph. When we were in Tucson, she and I and everyone really, helped to make ravioli from scratch. It was fun, and they were yummy.

Still, I will start easing my way to being ready for school, and work. I'll probably go in to school early some time next week, and move stuff to my new classroom. I really need to talk to principals before they are overwhelmed about what I'll be doing, and how it will work. I'm not really sure how to set up my classroom yet, because I'm not really, for sure and positive, knowing what it is I'll be teaching this year. Confusing. I'm also starting Raine out remembering the letters she knows, and the numbers, and other stuff so she is ready for school, mentally and attitudinally. And vacation will be gone before I know it. Sigh. This was a really nice one, too.

2 comments:

Fran said...

. . .homemade ravioli. . .? *sigh*

Which building will you be in? It's always a challenge to figure out how to set up the room so that you can see what's going on in the back, still have converssations, and navigate.

Did I tell you about the student who, when I told all the kids they had to find someplace to sit that WASN'T a desk, freaked out, cussed me out, ran out and never came back?

Yeah, I miss those days!

Dina said...

no, you never told me about that student... how funny.

I'll still be in the Academic Building, but in a different room. I think. To be closer to the reading lab, since I will hopefully be using it. But I'm not sure yet.