Monday, May 4, 2009

birthday tribute

May 4th was my mom's birthday. Since my birthday is only six days before that, we often - at least as adults - shared our birthday celebrations. We both enjoyed that. I still remember her most on her birthday.

I don't need to go into all of her successes, nor all of her shortfalls here, but she was an amazing woman and a role model for me. The measuring stick against which I hold my accomplishments. Aren't we all like that with our moms, one way or another? Still, here was a woman who did not protest for women's rights, or equal treatment, she lived her statement of these issues. At a time when women went to college for a husband, she took math and science classes for a physics degree. Often, she was the only woman in those classes. When she worked for Shell Oil, she was the only woman with the company who wasn't a secretary. These are only a few of her accomplishments, and a high measuring stick indeed.

An intelligent woman, and a stubborn one. A good person, too. I try to learn from her successes, and from her mistakes as well. I see her in some of the things I do - for good or ill - for isn't that how we all are about our mothers, too?

I wish Raine could have known her. I wish even more that she could have known Raine. But I'm not writing this for regrets, or because I'm sad, but because she was my mom. Because I remember her, and still love her, and of course I miss her. Even though I know without a doubt she would still be able to make me crazy at times. Still, we all have those moments, don't we, even at almost 50, where we still want our mommies. Isn't that how we all are about our mothers?

I am.

1 comment:

Fran said...

I hear you completely. I miss my mom every day. Your mom would have had a blast with Raine, I'm sure.