Thursday, May 21, 2009

its raining

There aren't many places that smell as good in the rain as the desert does. Its been cloudy here, thinner or thicker, for a few days. Teasing us with rain. You could walk outside and smell the humidity, but you better not forget to water the plants.

This morning, I walked outside to go to work, and was greeted with the remnants of a shower that had been. (anywhere else I'm sure they wouldn't have even bothered to notice that a few drops fell). On the way to work, I actually had to use my windshield wipers part of the time. Good thing I'd had them changed a couple months ago, or they'd have probably been flapping while the wiper arms scratched the glass.

The day was grey, and cool, and lovely.

This evening, a rain shower passed over us, and I really enjoyed listening to it grow and get fierce for a few moments, then calmly drizzle and drip. Ahhhh. It's not something we in New Mexico take for granted. I'm sure it wasn't enough to skip watering, but its lovely, even so. And we can use it, however much it is. What a peaceful way to end the school year.

1 comment:

Fran said...

Desert rain. Oh man, there's nothing like it, and that's one of the smells we miss the most.

Enjoy it while it lasts!