Wednesday, May 13, 2009

end of school

It could really be the end of any cycle, I think. You begin to clean up the mess, and in doing so dust off some stuff that might be good, on second look. You think about what you missed, what you could have done, or might have done differently. You think about what comes next.

I've learned that next year, I'll be teaching 9th grade Language Arts. I've taught it before, so I'm fairly familiar with the curriculum. I actually like 9th graders... on most days. Well, at least most 9th graders. I have noticed that a big part of 9th grade is maturity. If a student is mature enough, he or she can usually pass 9th grade and make it through High School, if he or she cares to. Sometimes it takes a student that second year with 9th grade classes to realize that, and usually those kids can make it through, too.

So I was cleaning up some files, and noticing some stuff that I might want to try with my 9th graders next year. I've got to get them writing, and keep them writing. This is not easy. It's not easy for them because it's work. And it can be not easy for me because it can be a lot of work to grade. Still, I've finally come to some terms with student journals that may help. I hope so anyway. Its been working to an extent this year, and I hope to do better with them next year.

So, the end of the school year. An uphill struggle through finals, and getting grades in. Then, summer vacation. I love being an adult and getting summer vacation. Its such a recharge time for me. Usually when school starts, I'm ready!

No comments: