Wednesday, May 27, 2009

today we smoked

No, I haven't taken up a new habit. It's the same old habit I've had forever. Eating. What did we smoke? A turkey. yum. Yes, we bought a turkey around the holidays, knowing that we had freezer space, and that we liked turkey. We owed some family dinner, and we were hungry for smoked turkey, so we combined the occasions, and everyone was happy.

Now, I know I've talked about us smoking stuff before, probably sometime around Thanksgiving, which was when we smoked our first turkey, in the cold and rain. Today was neither cold nor rainy, but our experiment/experience continues. Today, which should have been perfect for the smoking system we have, and solved all the problems we had in the cold rain, didn't. Evidently our system still needs tweaking. Either the burners we've been using are wearing out, or the pans, which have warped from the heat of sitting on above mentioned burners with wood chips, are less effective at creating smoke.

So, Carl and I discussed the possibilities... We seem to need to purchase new pans to set the wood chips in. Do we go for the $5 ones again, knowing that in a matter of months they will need to be replaced? Again. I mean that amount every few months is not going to break the bank, even if it seems a little wasteful. On the other hand, what kind of pan would be more durable, but not a lot more expensive to use? We wondered if a couple of small cast iron skillets would do the trick. I think I have seen some at Wal-Mart for not too much, certainly not much more than $10. Anyone else have suggestions? ideas? 2 cents?

1 comment:

Fran said...

I have no idea what the right answer is here, but I passed it along to Lillian, who knows about these things, and she's contemplating. Good luck!