Monday, May 11, 2009

Civilization

I enjoy being the omnipotent ruler of the world... mwa ha ha ha ha... That's why I play Civilization. This is one of the games I've been playing since it's first iteration on my Amiga. Yeah, the one with no hard drive, because, you know, you would never really need one. uh huh.

Its a time sink of a game, and I'm proud to say I have infected others with a love for the game as well. Sorry, Steph. It was created by Sid Meyer, who also had a great Railroad building game out that I played on the Amiga as well. You could get some track laid, then set some trains going and leave for a while and let them run. Great on laundry day.

Civilization is now on its 4th version, some more successful and enjoyable than others. I'm still kind of figuring out the changes in the world wonders that I've known so well in the past... what benefits they bring etc. I don't go for the great library any more, and I build the Lighthouse when I can, although I miss the extra water movement it used to bring. I also have the expansion, Beyond the Sword, which has some features I enjoy. I hate going to war, especially now that I can't win it with the use of spies. BtS has an option for always peace. Yeah, it sorta feels like cheating, because the AI players always stockpile mega troops anyway that they never use. On the other hand, I never build troops like they do, even when they will eventually invade me.

SO, why am I writing about Civ tonight? Well, its what's keeping me from my adult duty of going to bed so I can get up and go to work in the morning. Its a "just one more turn" game if ever there was one.

2 comments:

Fran said...

So is the premise that you just create a world? I've never played it or Sims, so I have no real point of reference, but it does sound like a total time-sink.

Dina said...

The game creates a world, and you "discover" it while your civilization grows and becomes more sophisticated. You get to choose which cultural advances you will research in what order. And of course the goal is to take over the world... in one way or another.