Sunday, January 31, 2010

arts and crafts

I went to Hobby Lobby today. I needed some cording to go with one of the tops that I'm in the process of making, and I felt like walking around in there instead of Joanns. I was alone, so I got to look at whatever I wanted for however long I wanted. It was lovely.

I found some Valentines for Raine to take to school. I also put together stuff for a little Valentine's themed art project. I'll send the parts and a little note to her teacher this week, so it can be used when and as appropriate. Basically, I found felt heart ornaments and stuff for the kids to glue on to decorate them: little paper heart doilies, confetti cut-outs of hearts, etc, and - or course - some glitter. I think kids like to decorate stuff. I know Raine does. And it isn't candy. I like that, too. (Raine's teacher probably appreciates that as well)

I got inspired to make sun-catcher like things to hang in the craft room windows to catch the light. I've been wanting some, but what I found there made me realize that putting some together on my own would be fun and creative. I found the cording I was looking for, and - since they were having a sale on calicoes, some fabric for a black and white top. It really caught my eye.

Speaking of fabric, which leads to sewing, which leads me ever back to my studio idea/dream. Carl and I were talking about that, and we both agreed that a studio shouldn't be a lonely place. For us, creativity is best shared. Every time I think about having specific studio space, there are always people included, sharing ideas, working on projects, talking, and having a great time. The studio is as much about that as having great materials and/or equipment.

2 comments:

Fran said...

I think it depends on what you're creating, whether or not a shared space is ideal. I know painters and writers don't necessarily want someone else there (although obviously some do). Some creative processes are just solitary, I think.

But crafting and sewing have always been community activities, and with good reason, I think.

Dina said...

Yes, You make an excellent point, although I am still more productive with my writing when I'm involved in some sort of writing class or group than on my own. That creative nudge is very helpful for me. That doesn't really mean that I want to be writing in a room full of other people who are also writing, but having people to bounce ideas off of or to read and knowledgeably critique at certain points can be helpful.