Wednesday, January 6, 2010

try it, and keep trying

Ahhh the beginning of a new semester. Everything's fresh and new again, and the birds are singing, and.... oops, I think I got in the wrong movie.

Still have the same students from last semester, and I'm actually happy with that. Yes, there is something to be said for a fresh batch of students, who will be intimidated for a couple of weeks... or days... or... There is also something to be said for not having to learn close to 90 new names and faces. It takes me a good month or more, really, and I try, I really do.

Still, they came back. They started anew. Most of them did most of the work today. Well, except for 4th period. They were more interested in talking and pretending to need the bathroom so they could get snacks. My last class - 4th - is my special challenge this year. And this is a year of special challenges, so that is saying something. I can get the attention of about 4 of them at a time. Then they will listen and ask questions, etc. Maybe even put an effort in on the work. Well, some of them put an effort in all the time, some of them put in effort some of the time, and a few really don't care about the effort at all. Calls will be going home. Early. Soon. I'm saying that even though I don't like making those calls. Still, I'll do it. Just see if I don't.

I have plans. There are ideas. I don't feel like I'm basically on my own this semester, and I'm working with a teacher (and her SPED students - and no, those aren't in 4th period) and I'm really rather excited to work with her. I've known her for a while, in the SCA (yep, it's Mistress Toragana, mundanely known as Alison Greene-Wall), and more recently because of our mutual love of crafting things. Now, we are working together professionally, and so far, I'm loving it.

You know... I had a point, but I'm not sure I got to it. I guess it is that after the break, and with some changes, I'm ready to try to learn these kids something again. Its been a challenge so far. In fact it's been several. I'm sure there are several more in store for us, but at this moment, optimism.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sometimes you have to shake up things.

I threw a chair once. And then proceeded to trash the room in total silence.

Of course then I turned it into a writing exercise -- the room was now a crime scene and they had to speculate as to what happened.

But while I was trashing the room? You could hear a pin drop. And for weeks afterward, when I did something unexpected, the room got still and every eye was on me.

Power. It can be SUCH fun!