Tuesday, January 5, 2010

time for some movies

One of the great things about the holidays is that you can watch movies. Sometimes those movies are the winter fare at the theater, and sometimes the dvd's you got - or gave - for Christmas. We did some of each this year.

In the theater, we saw Avatar. Not the best named film of the year, but WOW, it sure was pretty. The 3D is not gratuitous so they can throw things at you, but the next generation of all-films-will-soon-be-made-in-3-d. There were layers of things to look at. They flew. Without too many spoilers, the movie looked wonderful, the special effects of integrating animation and live action was done very well. AND there was even a plot! A decent plot, well executed, even. Not to mention, Sigourney Weaver is in it. I recommend a theater for this one, at least once, just for the beauty on the big screen.

Another movie we watched was District 9. Woah. NOT what I expected. Better than I expected. Using aliens as a metaphor for a human situation is not a new device, but it still works. Refreshing to see a movie set in South Africa. Interesting concept for a film. Again, special effects were really good. (Remember the days when Star Wars special effects were supreme? yeah, me too) As Carl mentioned, and I aggreed, someone from the 40's or 50's who jumped straight to this movie would probably believe those aliens were real. They sure weren't guys in alien suits...

Then there was Gran Torino. Another movie that wasn't what I expected, and in a good way. Clint Eastwood sure knows his business, and he certainly didn't walk through this role. His grumpy old man scowl and growl was spot on. Not an easy character to create sympathy for, but it was achieved, and well done. Not your typical coming of age film, still I think it fits. (Just depends on which age you are coming to...) This is definately a film to watch for character development.

Then there is the Tim Burton production of 9. We enjoyed this film in the theater, and Ron picked it up on sale after Christmas. I think I enjoyed it as much the second time as the first. There were still details to notice, and questions to ponder. This one will age well, I think, and be a movie to come back to time and again.

Speaking of time and again, I also dipped into my collection of Poirot, starring David Suchet. I love these, and have for years. They are done well, and of course the stories are good, as well. Thank you Agatha Christie.

What did you enjoy recently?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I want to see Avatar, even though I've heard it's the alien version of Dances with Wolves.

But here's the catch.

I can't see 3-D stuff.

So I wonder if I'm gonna be disappointed somehow. Left out in some way. So I've put it off, which is chicken, I know.

Well then, we don't go to movies anyway. But we've been told repeatedly to go see the new Sherlock movie, and that one I really do want to see.