Tuesday, January 26, 2010

wanting and doing

There are a lot of things I want. I'm a big "wanter." I want to lose weight. I want a patio in the back yard (actually, a whole backyard make-over). I want to have days to sew like crazy, and days to be able to just read a whole book. I want my craft room so organized that it looks practically empty. I want someone else (besides me) to clean the toilet. I could even throw in world peace, that's an excellent thing to want.

See? a lot of things to want. In all kinds of shapes and sizes.

I've been thinking about that wanting lately, because one of the things I want is a security screen on several of the doors in the house. Then, in the summer, when New Mexico actually cools off at night, you could open up the doors, and let the breezes in the house, even leave them open overnight without fear of someone just walking into the house. Now, I live in a reasonably good neighborhood. I'm not afraid of my neighbors. But, bad stuff happens, and I don't want to "invite" the bad stuff in. So, security screen doors. I don't have to have them all at once, but I'm not really good with the home repair and improvement stuff. Now comes the doing part. I've asked Ron if he would do the installation, and he wasn't really enthusiastic. Now, I don't want to demand that he do it, he deserves his leisure time, and time to pursue his own hobbies.

What am I willing to do to get the doors on... and - face it - all those other things I want? Which of them do I want badly enough to do something about? I've had this sort of understanding about my weight, but the insight into other wanting was an insight into understanding - and maybe even getting - for me. An epiphany of sorts. Even a way to sort my wants, honestly, and prioritize them for myself. I think the order of my to-so list shifted around a little, or maybe I just saw the truth of the order a little more clearly.

1 comment:

Fran said...

Wanting is an amazing thing. I think you've captured it beautifully!