Thursday, June 26, 2008

do you watch Oprah?

I did today, and I think it was fate. Suze Orman was on, helping a woman who's husband committed suicide, leaving her monthly bills running 10K per MONTH, $72 in the bank and $500K in debt. One of her points was that with some financial planning, you can create a cushion for yourself, and with awareness, you can and SHOULD keep track of your family's finances, whether or not you are "in charge" of them.

The really great part, was that Suze Orman's book can be downloaded for free from Oprah.com until some time tomorrow. They were giving her book away to her veiwers! How cool is that? I think it is very cool, and I went and downloaded it. I haven't had a chance to read through much of it yet, but I'm looking forward to it. I think and I hope that she can answer the questions that I was asking in my blog the other day.

I'm willing to listen to and consider her financial advice because I have heard her several times on NPR, and I think she is down-to-earth and realistic. I also respect the way that she helped the woman on the show, showing her how to get help where she needed it, and what kind of help to ask for, and how to get back on her feet again. She did it in such a human, sympathetic and respectful way that I was really touched.

So, look for this book! I'll let you know if any parts of it are particularly helpful, and I would appreciate a report in kind from anyone else who reads it ( or any other helpful book).

No comments: