Sunday, June 22, 2008

"final"reunion thoughts

Well, some of the people I had hoped would be there were not. Some that I wanted to come - and tried to talk into it - did not attend. Still, I had a really nice time, filled my social meter to the top and over-flowing (I'm not really fond of crowds) and talked to a lot of former classmates.

I didn't attend the 10 year reunion. I wasn't one of the popular kids. In the 10 years since graduation, I had not married, become thin, rich nor famous. I hadn't become strikingly, unexpectedly, beautiful. I had not accomplished anything amazing. There wasn't anything to show off. I had kept in touch with the classmates who were my particular friends, so did not need to go to the reunion to see them.

I did attend the 20 year reunion. I enjoyed it. I had found "my niche" and was in a personal comfort zone. The main thing that I discovered at the 20 year reunion was that a lot of my classmates had "gotten over themselves." It was a pleasure to find that they were real people with real lives and experiences. It was interesting to touch base with so many of them.

This year was the 30 year reunion. Not so many came to celebrate, although I think we did well with attendance. The committee - especially Alan and John worked really hard to contact as many people as they could. I was looking forward to seeing people and finding out where they were now, and reconnecting with some of them. And it worked. There was something I didn't expect, though. I connected with some of my classmates for the first time through the process of the reunion. THAT was the special part. That is what I will remember from this experience, and take forward with me. Thank you all for a very cool weekend!

No comments: