Thursday, June 5, 2008

sewing guild

Before I was married, I belonged to our local sewing guild. It was fun to get together with the nice women who made up the group and learn from their sewing experiences, and share things we had made, etc. It was one of the activities I liked to share with one of my long-time friends as well. It was fun! One day during the summer, we met at my house, and used a bunch of our odds and ends of fabric and notions, and the kid clothes patterns that anyone had and made quite a few outfits that we donated to a group that works with homeless children.

Then I got married, moved to Colorado, had Raine and finally moved back. But I didn't join in the sewing guild when I came back. I visited a few times, and enjoyed it, but when it came down to making the commitment of time and money, I just couldn't do it.

Finally life has become more settled. Financial stresses have eased a little, Raine has grown a lot, and I've been feeling like I want to do more sewing, generally. I really appreciate the skill and knowledge that group offers, and as I mentioned, I think they are generally nice women. I like nice people. My friend let me know earlier this week that their meeting was tonight, and it was a sew-in. They were going to make pillow pouches for women who have just had breast cancer surgery. The little pillow gives you something to rest your arm against instead of the surgery site. I went and helped sew these pillow pouches, and even though there were only seven of us there, we got quite a few of them made. (The first ones took the longest, of course).

Well, I think I will join the guild again. It is a low-stress group, with a lot of good activities. Things that I am interested in, like creating projects and entering them into the fair each year. Some of the members even get involved in judging. (I wouldn't be competent at that) They share sewing tips and techniques, and have guest speakers, and they do some nice projects together. I've only been almost five years in making this decision... I won't be five more in following through.

No comments: