Monday, June 16, 2008

It SHOULD be easy


To take a picture of something, and post it in a blog. I mean, I'm part of a techno-geek family. We have more computers living in our house than people. We own digital stuff! So, when Fran asked me to post a picture of the dress I made this past weekend, I didn't think it would be a major project...

First the camera didn't like the fabric and.... no WAIT! that wasn't first... FIRST the camera wasn't charged up, and whatever I did - you know, plugging it in and waiting for it to charge - didn't charge it up. This morning when I took pictures, I had to have it connected to the plug... on about a 3.5 foot cord. No, that isn't very long. I tried plugging it in a couple of places, but ended up a little too far from the garment, I think. Then, SECOND the camera didn't really like the fabric, and I would point it and find my shot, and it would "auto focus" from clarity into fuzziness. And, not just once. I think I took 4 or 5 different shots. I tried it hanging and lying... hanging was better, but...

Now, if you think that was the end of the problem, oh no! it is not! So, I took a few pictures, and figured I would look for the clearest, and use that... I mean we are not asking for a perfect picture here. So, I take the memory chip out of the camera and put it in my computer. I have all kinds of slots for different size memory chips for just such things as cameras. But, when I tried to save the pictures from the chip to the hard drive, I ran into more problems. I opened the pictures with the program that I usually use, and tried selecting and saving them. It went through the motions, but the actual work was not done. I tried a different program, and then it wouldn't respond. I went to "My computer" to look on the chip, and then THAT wouldn't respond. I thought that called for some kind of response, so I rebooted the computer. No, that didn't help.

I took the memory chip with me to Target, where I picked up the roll of film I had dropped off on Saturday - some good pictures, by the way - and put the chip into the machine and ordered some prints... one hour. No, Target didn't mess them up, I picked them up a little over an hour later, no problem. They weren't as clear as I had hoped for, but still, I had one that would give an idea of what the outfit looks like, more or less, and all I had to do was scan it in.

So, here we are, almost 9 PM, and the darned picture is finally scanned, rotated, cropped, and ready to go into the post, IF I can smoothly insert it (I hope, I hope). OK, done... SO, here is the dress and jacket. The shiny bits are not wrinkles, but the all-over thread design on the fabric. (One of the things I was hoping to pick up with the camera.) One loop and button on the front of the jacket.

1 comment:

Fran said...

Oh my, I had NO idea what fresh hell I'd put you through with my innocent request! But you perservered, and good for you!

I think it looks great! You should be very proud. I know I would be.