Sunday, June 1, 2008

cantaloupe and potato salad

Summer, right? We got a cantaloupe at Sam's today. They looked so pretty, and I've been wanting one. You kind of have to be careful at Sam's, things are often on the edge of good. Last week they were already scary, so we passed. I cut it up a little while ago and MMmmmmm. So, do you know how to pick a cantaloupe? Who taught you? My mom and her mom taught me. There are a few things to check. First, look for the stem end, the little belly button. The melon should give a little bit when you push (now, don't try to poke your finger through, ewww). Then, smell the melon. If it doesn't smell like a cantaloupe, it won't taste like one either. In fact, if you don't smell them when you are walking by, they probably aren't very ripe.

How about a watermelon? We got one of those last week when the cantaloupe weren't good. Our Great Uncle taught Carl & I how to pick those. Our folks gave us the "chore" as soon as we learned how. Thump them. You want to hear a hollow sound, and deeper is usually better. Of course, you don't want a soft one. Some people thump with a finger, but OW! I use my knuckle instead.

So... how about potato salad. I'm pretty picky, and I pretty much only want home-made. I will eat some store-bought to be polite, because I have at least a few manners. I do like the home-made kind, at least the way I make it... Here are some of the things I've learned about making potato salad. I like to boil some carrots and a couple of eggs in with the potatoes. The carrots add a little color, and I think they are yummy. I cut them pretty small, and you could pretty much smash them in and they would disappear. I use dill relish or dill pickles, and some mustard along with mayo. I don't like my potato salad too juicy though, bleah, so I don't go over board with either. Onions and celery give a little something and salt and pepper to taste. Oh yeah, and bacon, if you got it (or can eat it). Bacon makes anything better. Just ask me, I'll tell you. If you have some and you are going to cook it, through in the onions and the celery for a little sautee while you are at it. Now, don't look at me so funny, but I bet if you threw the pickles in the pan with the onions, bacon and celery, that would be tasty too. (don't tell me you've never fried pickles with a hamburger!) Nice thing about potato salad is that it is a cook ahead dish. The night before, when the house has cooled off, you can boil up your potatoes, etc, and you don't have to make the house hotter for dinner. That is a consideration here in the hot southwest.

No comments: