Friday, June 27, 2008

neighbors

Wow, we just had rain! It was a good storm with a lot of water, and man it smelled great. The lightening and rolling thunder were beautiful as well. Well, of course the power went out, now that you ask. Funny how the power goes out, and after you light the candles, everything you can think of to do involves electricity in some way... no, not the radio... popcorn is out (electric stove), hmmm. If I can find a link, I'll post it with this... and this would be the time to check it out. OK, I couldn't get a video, but check out the lyrics to this song by Cheryl Wheeler. http://www.cherylwheeler.com/songs/tv.html

So what about the neighbors? I went out front after the rain died down to enjoy the afterglow and the breeze and the next door neighbors were sweeping water out of a low spot on their patio. I heard them sweeping and asked if they had gotten water in their house, and they said no, but explained about the low spot. They ended up coming over and sitting and chatting until the power came back on, just a friendly, casual visit and it was nice. They really seem like nice people.

Earlier this week, I saw a kid out mowing one of the other neighbor's yard and got him to come and do mine. It was the neighbor's grandson, and they both seemed really nice. Enjoyed meeting them and all.

I really like my neighborhood. Especially on my street. It is convenient to school (at least Raine's), and to town. When I hear sirens coming our way, I worry about which of my neighbors have been hurt or fallen ill, not which drug dealer is busted now. I really like that. I like that Raine will be going to our neighborhood school, and her friends will be in the neighborhood as well.

2 comments:

Fran said...

Man, one of the things we truly miss is the smell of rain in the desert. I wish you could bottle it up and send us some!

Dina said...

Well, I _could_ bottle it (more or less) and send it to you, but... I'm sure it would loose something in the transmission.