Wednesday, June 4, 2008

emptying boxes

I emptied two boxes today. I've also been cleaning my closet. Slowly. Although, two boxes... I mean, practically manic, for me. I can't believe that will all the culling and packing and storing and sorting that we did for the remodel, that I still have so much that I can get rid of... Still I've come to enjoy the feeling of things that are no longer in my house.

We got some of those space bags and I've put some of the baby afghans, and clothes in them, and some other fabric keepsakes. They reduce quite a bit in size (of course I pack them fuller than they pack them on TV) when you vacuum out the air. Why is it that when it becomes smaller, you expect it to weigh less? I mean, you sucked out the lightest part, so logically the weight should be about the same. Still, I was surprised when the bags where as heavy as they were. Sigh. Now, I just have to figure out how to organize the bags.

I had tried some of those big ziplock bags, but I think the space bags are more satisfactory... at least so far. I really didn't have a lot of luck keeping the others closed, and part of the point of putting things in a plastic bag is to keep it closed and keep dust, etc out. Or is that just me. Still, I still have some of those bags, and will try to figure out something to do with them. Including perhaps, trying not to fill them too full.

So, I'm not zooming through the organization, but I am doing some, and at a fairly steady pace. I'll be taking some stuff away tomorrow, to Good Will. I'll also feel good in my own good will that my home is a little better today than it was yesterday.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We have boxes everywhere from when my brother was staying with us. I can't find anything, and my entire craft area seems to have bounced twice and ended up in the void. Half of the boxes were never marked, so organization is something on the list, however, you are two boxes up on me. Here school is out and I thought I'd have more time for thing, but the work load has tripled.

Fran said...

We've been living here for, what, three years now, and we're finally getting around to getting things organized. Whenever I have time (or energy), neither of which is plentiful right now, but when I do, I'm muttering "a place for everything and everything in its place". Once in a while it actually helps.

So good for you!